Sunday, November 7, 2010

Justin Soule' Interview

Justin Soule' (say "Soo-leh") is by all definitions a dyed-in-the-wool off-road racer. With a respectable six WORCS championships under his belt, one could argue that he's had the most successful career as an amateur in that series, ever. Like many who have come before him, his success as an amateur have been due in large part to his status as a member of Team Green and a rock solid work ethic.

Now that he's turned pro he's still with the brand that supported him through his amateur years. This past weekend in Denver, Color., Justin got a career best second place finish in the Geico Powersports Endurocross Series aboard his 2011 KX 250F and we had a chance to catch up with him and chat about life, racing and his secrets to success.

First of all congrats on the finish in Denver last weekend, how's it feel?
It feels pretty good. The whole team has been working hard and those are the type of results we are striving for, to be in it for the win. I was so close but fell a little short and ended up 2nd. Can't complain though.

You were also on the cover of Dirt Bike Magazine a few weeks ago, that was cool!
Thanks! It's an amazing feeling and humbling.

You've been around the off-road world for a long time, essentially working your way up through every class, but you're still a little under the radar to some fans, give us a little Justin Soule' history.
Well, I am not a rock star nor do I really care to be famous. I am a regular guy who works hard for what he wants and that's to win and take care of my family. I came from a good hard working family and was raised to be a loyal hard working person. I live and breathe riding and racing off road, it is my blood. I think secretly some guys race off road wishing they raced motocross or supercross, not me; I am off road through and through, wouldn't have it any other way.

As far as the fan base goes, I am not sure where I stand. I am just going to keep working hard and doing the best I can and hopefully I will continue to gain support.

You grew up in Reno, do you live there still?
My wife and I moved down to Southern California earlier this year. It was getting hard going back and forth and it's just better for my career down here. I am close to the industry and my team and I always have someone to ride with. Don't get me wrong though, Reno still has the best riding hands down. I will always call Reno home. I miss it!

You graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA while being a full time Team Green Off-Road Racer.
Dude I am a straight shooter and this is my own opinion, but school is more important than racing itself. Every rider is one step away of having that one crash that ends their career. No education? Well, then you are out of luck. You have to have a plan to fall back on. Education is a must for all racers, hands down. Balance both and win at both. Teachers won't hassle you for missing the amount of school it takes to race if you are pulling a 3.0-4.0 GPA. Win the races and win on the test's, it's an easy solution to cure the problem.

This year you also had 4 podiums in WORCS and finished out the year 4th in points, that's 3 years in a row in the top 5, very impressive.
Shoot man, that is definitely one thing that I can do great, being consistent. It's been a pretty solid year, no injuries and consistent results. I can't complain about that at all. But next year it's championship time, I am so ready!

You also raced the USGP at Glen Helen earlier this year, how'd that go for you?
That was an awesome opportunity and experience. I am not sure what my overall was. It was a lot of fun to compete with athletes from all over the globe.

What does a typical week look like for you riding and training wise?
A typical week varies for me, depending on what part of the season we're in or what event we have coming up. I ride a lot doing intervals and technique drills. A lot of gym and road bike related workouts. But, don't get me wrong, I do take rest days. To me they are just as, if not more important when in season racing. After the work is done I love being at my home with my beautiful wife and my two dogs.

You have been racing off-road for years and paid your dues to get where you are. A lot of racers try to do the same and aren't able to make it, what do you feel has helped you be able to stay on top?
An amazing family that supported and taught me how to have a work ethic and morals. An amazing Savior, Jesus, who I could draw all strength and courage from. It's hard and it's a sacrifice, but if you want it bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen. You are right though, there are so many talented riders that never make it and it's sad to see that. It seems to me that a lot get side tracked from what it is they need to be doing. Partying, girls, rebellious attitude; all things that lead eventually to the same thing, not winning. Don't get me wrong, there are many more reasons than that, sometimes it's a matter of not being in the right place at the right time and who you know or don't know type situation. It's sad to see either way.

Any advice would you give to a young kid or any up-and-comer trying to make it in off-road?
It's hard to do, but school before racing. It stinks, but it's a must. Build a work ethic and ride whatever bike it is you have to the best of your ability. Don't get caught up in what looks cool or how you look or how your bike looks, get caught up in the fun of racing and doing what it is you love. It's you and the work ethic you built that's going to win you races, not the vanity bandwagon of looks and trends. If you look cool, but you're losing races, no one cares.

People you'd like to thank?
The Lord Jesus Christ, my wife Courtney, my family, my trainer Robby Altizer, Monster Energy Kawasaki, Traxxas, Moose, Alpinestars, Shoei, Scott USA, Asterisk, GPR, so many more that make my dream of racing a reality. I can't do it without them, literally.




No comments:

Post a Comment