Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The 2011 KX 450F Release

Sometimes in life, things are so good that they don’t need fixed, this is the case with the 2011 KX 450F.  Since the big introduction of fuel injection in 2009, Kawasaki has spent the last two years just doing minor refinements to the big 450. For 2011, the parts of the KX 450f that have see some changes are the Rear Shock, the Piston, the Chassis, Shifting Mechanism, Fuel Pump, Seat Cover and some of the Styling Features.

The Rear Shock has been revised a little bit with new damping settings for better handling, especially where the high speed compression settings are affected.  These new settings are designed to work in sync with the new, more flexible frame.  By moving the engine mounting brackets, Kawasaki has increase flex in the frame, this has resulted in quicker cornering and a more precise feel on the track.


KX450F comes with an awesome EFI system they have been using since 2009.

As much as every rider wants a fast powerful bike, if a bike isn’t durable than what is the point.  To increase power and durability Kawasaki installed a “Bridged-Box Bottom” piston on this new bike.  This is the same designed that Chad Reed and Ryan Villopoto used on their factory bikes this past year.  This type of piston profile gives the engine better performance at low RPM and more overall power.

One of the complaints the last few years about the KX 450’s is that they are hard to shift, the gearbox has been knotchy. To fix this problem, the genius’s at Kawasaki changed the roller at the end of the position lever used to turn the shift cam. The shift springs have also been increased by 40% to handle the wear and tear of modern day riders. Other small changes are, changing the angle of the fuel pump in the fuel tank to prevent damage that could occur on really rough tracks.  Also, a new seat cover with a new anti slip material has been installed and some new styling features like black alumite rims and new “Factory” graphics also grace this machine for 2011.  As you can see there hasn’t been any major changes to the 2011 KX 450f, some minor refinements to help the bike easier to ride and more durable.  But, what do all these refinements add up to on the track?

Impressions:

One of the first things I notice about the 2011 KX 450f was just how good this bike looks.  With the lime green plastics and the black rims, the cosmetics really stand out. I also like Kawasaki’s attention to detail, whether it the ultra-trick skid vented skid plate or the factory looking blue fork caps or adjustors on the shock. Kawasaki is also using a new bend of Renthal handlebar that is a lot more comfortable than the older ones.

Since the weather was beautiful and it was unseasonably dry, I decided to ride the KX 450 on my own personal track. My track is on the tight side with a lot of jumps, it is certainly more SX than outdoors MX. I have found that you can tell a lot about how a bike handles on a tight SX track, obviously stability isn’t too big of an issue since there aren’t any bumps, but you quickly find out how good a bike will turn. I have also found over the years that it is a lot easier to make a bike stable, then it is to make it turn good, great turning characteristics are like natural talent, your either born with it or without it.

Since this is the third year that the KX 450F has come standard with fuel injection and each year it becomes more and more refine and precise. Fuel Injection has also turned stubborn starting four strokes into first kick gems and the 2011 KX 450F is no different, this one started right away. As I headed around my track on my first few laps I felt instantly comfortable with the ergonomics of the bike, I had lots of room to move around and I felt as if I was sitting on top of the bike and not down in it. Another aspect of the KX 450F I noticed was how linear the power was. I owned a carbureted 2008 KX 450F and that bike hit like a ton of bricks.

The 2011 model has more than enough bottom end hit to clear almost any jump, but at the same time it is very easy to ride. I ran the fuel injection on the stock middle setting, and since I didn’t have the kit to adjust it, I wasn’t able to change it, although I am not sure I would have.

As my day of riding went on I was very impressed with the handling of the big KX 450F. It turned great and felt very precise and predictable. Even with the stock suspension the KX handled great. Yes, it was a little on the soft side but that can be easily adjusted. Another thing I noticed on the 2011 model compared to my 2008, was how much the shifting has improved. For 2011 Kawasaki has made some changes to the shifting cam and it really has made the transition through the gear box, a lot smoother.


Palms really liked the cosmetics on the 2011 KX450F.

If I had to pick one thing that I didn’t like on the 2011 KX 450, it would be the new seat cover.  Kawasaki claims that it is supposed to be grippier, but I found it to be the opposite.  Other than that small detail, the 2011 KX 450 was a joy to ride, the motor was strong and the handling was great. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with any of the 2011 450’s, but if you love green and you want a great all around bike, just go to your local Kawasaki dealer and pick one up. You won’t be disappointed, I know I wasn’t!
www.kawasaki.ca

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment