Monday, December 20, 2010

High-tech Dirt Bike Gear

Nor try to evaluate the latest color-coordinated,high-tech Dirt Bike Gear on how well it’s protecting, comforting and wicking sweat from my skin. It doesn’t happen very often, but when it does, it serves as the ultimate gear test. I like to look as good as the next guy, but ultimately, when I’m out with buddies and the only trophy on the line is a post-ride beer, I’m more concerned with comfort, function and performance, so I’ll mix and match outfits like a trailer-park bride at Goodwill.Free riding in the magazine world it’s when we’re allowed to ride purely for fun, without the concern of having to look good in front of a camera.

I’ve got an entire garage to choose from, and these are the items I find myself returning too. Click on the hyperlinked text to purchase them yourself - because i'm sure as hell not giving mine away.

Thor Ride Jacket – The only think keeping this from being the perfect jacket is that the sleeves don’t zip off. I love riding with a vest and the Thor jacket would be a great conversion with all its ample storage. Even still, considering the massive vents that run from wrist-to-waist on each side, I usually opt for the Thor even when it’s borderline temperatures. It’s a close battle with my esteemed Alloy outerwear which is convertible, but the extra pockets put it over the top.

Blur B-1 Goggles. – Lightweight, comfortable and perfectly sized. I keep these in my gearbag at all times as a backup. The brown/orange/white plaid looks good and goes well with almost any helmet or gear. I keep waiting for the lens to get hammered, and I don’t baby it, but it has resisted scratching for over a year. These are my underrated faves.

Sidi Crossfire TA Boots – Tried and true. These are my favorite high-end boots to date. I’ve had the privilege of wearing Gaerne SG12, Alpinestars Tech 10, Scott Genius and AXO Prime boots, plus many lower-level options. I’m saving my new pair of Sidis for a good photo opportunity, but the old ones still get as much use as I can muster. The SRS version is cool with its easily replaceable sole, but I like the feel of the TA model. Combined I have four pairs in the rotation, and there’s a reason…

Acerbis Fanny Pack – I don’t like moving my tools and supplies from one pack to another. They get lost, mixed up and I constantly have to relearn where I stashed that particular tool. The Acerbis pack is bulletproof and familiar, plus the rain guard is a nice touch. It doesn’t do anything for keeping water out, but it blocks the hell out of mud and that’s good enough for me. I've been running this same pack since 2006. (Read my original review.)

MSR Velocity X Helmet – You’d think I have one helmet in particular that I adore, but really I bounce around with the head protection more than any other gear choice. The one I settle on most often is MSR Racing’s 250-dollar Velocity X. At first my only complaint was the small visor, and I still don’t like it, but riding for fun usually doesn’t involve eating a ton of roost, and on those dusty days when the sun is low, I leave it at home. (Read my original review.)

Acerbis Wave MX10 Gear – It’s kinda funny, the last set of gear that I really fell in love with was also bright orange, but it was the Moose XCR line.The MX10 from Acerbis is my current choice. This stuff fits me so well I can hardly believe it. Doing reviews on gear usually brings out little to say about the gloves and jersey, most of the focus going toward the pants. That isn’t the case with the Acerbis Wave set. Don’t get me wrong, the pants are amazing, but the jersey is unique with its rubber logo up top and the gloves are virtually perfect all around. (Read my original review.) Some people don’t like the bright color, but this stuff could be pink with rainbow print and I’d still wear it - it feels racy and snug all around. But, if I want to carry stuff with me on a ride, I grab the Klim Chinook pants for added storage and traditional inside-the-boot cuffs.

Ogio 9800 Gearbag – I’ve got a lot of crap to haul around. The cinch straps help keep things tight for the bastards at TSA, but even when I’m not wheeling through airports, the 9800 gets thrown mercilessly into the back of my truck, wedged between muddy tires, slicing metal ramps and shredding footpegs. The fabric is durable. The tweed hides dirt and scuffs. The hard plastic bottom is rigid and holds its shape. And, the wheels are burly enough to roll over dirt and rocks at my favorite unload spots. Plus, a multitude of pockets keep everything where it’s supposed to be, making life much easier when I roll through the gate 20 minutes before Moto 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment